Saturday, January 27, 2007

I Still Call Australia Home


Not the best rendition of the song but still has the impact if you're Aussie.

When was the first time you heard a song that you have heard a million times before but you finally feel the songs soul coming into contact with your own?

This happened to me today on our nations 218th birthday, Australia Day. The song in question is Peter Allen's classic "I still call Australia Home." The song is Allen's dedication to this great country and the message that even though you may travel around the world, home will always be with you no matter what. I listened to it when i was away and i knew just by listeing to it my family and my homeland would always be with me in my heart. I have heard this song growing up and i loved it. It's been used mainly by Qantas to promote their airline but the song still gets to me and it means so much more to me since i have come back from overseas. It's hard to explain to someone outside of Australia the impact this song has on you when coming back to Australia. Some nights when i was feeling down this song encapsulated the feeling that even though i may me doing it tough, home will be waiting for you with open arms.

With today being our nations birthday it always strikes me how lucky i am to have grown up in such a magnificent country. I'm so proud of being an Australian and i just love everything about my homeland. I may bitch about work and my life specifically but when it comes to my island home, you will never hear me say anything bad about this place. I have only seen parts and there is so much to this vibrant country that i have yet to see and i have to see it before i die to truely appreciate the majesty that is the land down under.

I spent today at Daniel's to celebrate the day with a typical Aussie backyard BBQ and some cricket. Daniel is Michael (the back doctors) brother and a genuinely nice guy. He recently moved into a new house and it was the first time i saw it and it's really really nice. I wanted to take pics but stupid me took my camera but forgot my memory stick so that was a no go. After a great BBQ we headed to the local primary school to play some basketball (not my sport at all. Never liked it) cricket (i love that game) and a kick if the footy (that's Aussie Rules not soccer) and just have a laugh with a few of daniels work mates who came along.

By the end of the afternoon we were all a bit burnt so we decided to watch the new Rocky film which i got through work. Let's just say that after initial reservation, they were all jumping out of their seats by the end of the film. I loved the fact they loved the film as much as me and appreciated fine Hollywood filmaking when they saw it. After another hour of texas Hold Em i decided to call it a night and head home. I got there at 2p.m. today and i left at 12.30 a.m. Saturday morning. Luckily he lives about 10 mins away from my house so the drive home was nice and short.

Once again Australia Day has proven to me that even though friends may be near or far, they are always in my heart. Australia is in my heart as well and i'm so lucky that it is. I really have realised sometheing i've always known.

Australia is my home.

Happy Australia Day wherever you are.

P.S - I know there are spelling and grammar errors galore but i'm too tired to fix them.

2 comments:

A girl lost in the Universe said...

holy crap...you will never see oz day celebrated like it was here. Bogans galore out here. Such a different culture entirely.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.