Friday, January 12, 2007

Goodluck, Goodbye Bobby Jean

It's not Thailand but Craigieburn will do!

Last night (it's 1am Friday morning as i start writing this) I drifted over to Sabs place in Cragieburn to wish her well before her momentous journey to Western Australia later this morning. It's an exciting time for her as she is about to start a teaching course which will lead her to new and wonderful times ahead.

Even though it was a sad night for both of us, there were plenty of laughs all around as always. With the help of Mr. Johnnie Walker and a couple of nice mini Cuban cigars, the night just seemed to fly. We talked a lot of crap as always but every word of it made sence. Sab's mum came out and the three of us had a lovely chat. She's sad and excited as well but she knows it's the best thing for Sab. As a little going away gift i gave Sab a copy of Dr. Suess's classic "Oh the Places you will go" to read to her kids in class one day. Wow..Sabs going to be a real teacher!

I wrote some words in her card that explain how i feel about her choice to go. Needless to say that the words were very positive and i know its the right move for her.I don't think it will hit me just yet that Sab is gone. I was driving home from her place (which by the way seems like an eternity even though its only 30 mins away from my place) and the first song on my iPod that came up was Bruce Springsteen's "Bobby Jean."

"Bobby Jean" is a song about saying goodbye to a close friend and i thought that the iPod gods were obviously looking out for me. As much as it will hurt me not having her around i know it's in her best interest to chase the dream of teaching. I'm so proud of her for doing it. Sometimes i ask myself what is my passion? Sab has found hers and i know mine will come but for now it's about celebrating an evolution in our friendship.

So where does that leave me? My closest friend has left and my close friends are overseas yet why should i worry. Just because you may not be down the road physically doesn't mean that you are not with me spiritually. I'm a very lucky person to have great freinds in my life and that no matter where we are in the world, the connection of friendship remains strong. I'll be seeing Sab in May when i go to Perth so that's going to be exciting.

What else can i say except "Goodluck, Goodbye Bobby Jean"


1 comment:

Joyfulone said...

that's the spirit!!!

ipod gods?

ya big weirdo!

xx