Sunday, March 04, 2007

Writers Block

I'm frustrated.

No not like the last time i used those words and had a mental breakdown but something inside of me always keeps throwing up roadblocks when i want to sit down and write about the time i had away. I kept a pretty good record of my adventures away and i feel that i have to do this. I have received many positive sentiments in relation to my emails that i used to send and well not as much with the blog. Seems that long lines of text are more entertaining that long lines of text with pictures!

Still late last year when i was on the late shifts at work i found my self with the urge to write. That's my problem. When it comes to me writing something (and i know i'm not that bad at the craft) i just can't sustain the energy to sit and go through all the emails and details i sent during my adventure. I need to feel in the moment...in the zone..i need to have the desire to write.

So one night last year i wrote the preface to this long running internal saga that is this dream of mine to write a book. Should i continue with it? I don't know. I want to.

Anyway here it is.

G'Day Folks.

If you have picked this book off the shelf from your local bookstore whilst in the middle of browsing for Jamie Olivers new book, thanks for stopping. I may not be able to compete with Jamie when it comes to your spending dollar but if you would rather read about how to make supposidly "easy to cook meals" rather than how i was being hit on by a Thai transvestite at two in the morning then please..make your way to the cooking section now.

If you are reading this paragraph you will have to wait a little longer for that story as that happens later on in my adventures. Many family and friends have referred to my time away from Australia as a "holiday" but i hated that idea. To me a holiday is a temporary break from the life you live at home and i didn't want my time away to have a"temporary" feel to it. Sure you may have a blast overseas and visit magical places and experience the local hospitality but at the end of the day how much of the experience seeps into your soul? How much impact does being away from home for an extended period of time affect your outlook on the world, the people you meet, your friends and even your family?

I didn't take a holiday from my life in Australia, i wanted to leave it behind. I was unhappy at work, unfit, low in confidence and trying to figure out what i wanted to do with my life. I still don't have much of an idea but the past two and a half years gave me ideas of who i might want to be and that's progress.

I came back to Australia wanting to continue the momentum i built up overseas but also wanting to write down the definitive story of a time in my life where the world asked me questions about myself and allowed me to experience wierd and wonderful things.

The information for this book came from the many emails i sent, the many blogs i posted and general chats with Sabrina and other people involed in this amazing journey i was lucky to experience. I'm writing this as much for Sab as myself as we both want to look back years from now and actually smile when we ask ourselves "Was it all worth it?"

All in all i think its a good story and hopefully you think is too and if you are reading this at a hostel somewhere in Asia...don't swap me for a copy of the DaVinci Code please!!.

Thanks Guys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i didn't realise that being overseas had such a profound effect on you.

Pep said...

oh cass it did

it had a major impact on me.

it was life changing... i'll tell you all about it at lunch sometime this week.

tsotsa said...

That's interesting!
Introductions and conclusions are the worst!!
Good for you for getting this started! Though as number one jamie oliver fan... please forgive me if i keep going! :-P

keep it up!
xxx

A girl lost in the Universe said...

hey, well I know I read it already but just remember who you'll be supporting in Tuscany when you finish the book!!!!