Saturday, March 17, 2007

Spicks and Specks

When i had my little mental breakdown in January one of the reasons was due to my physical state which in reality was sinking back into my pre leaving Australia days. Ever since that night i have committed myself to becoming as fit and healthy as possible. It has been a wonderful 10 weeks of sweat and sorness but the results are showing and i'm actually going to do a 4 km fun run on April 1 which all the proceeds go to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital. Well since i floated this idea i have had nothing but support but now i'm not the only person doing this fun run as mum and dad have decided to "Run for the Kids" as well.

I must say that i am delighted that they are actually deciding to join in and not just because its a good cause. The three of us have sometimes let our healty lifestyles suffer due to the pressures of work and just everyday life but the three of us have drawn a line in the sand and we will do this together. Now seen that this is my first run i'm not going out to set records but just go for a nice leisurely jog around the course and soak up the atmosphere of the day. We also decided to get the official race shirts so there will be some photots to see from that day in a couple weeks.

On Thursday night my team leader at 'Company X' informed me that my contract has been extended for six months so now i'm employed till the end of november which is a huge relief as the work is alright but the staff are really nice. Last night we went out for a few drinks at a pub in the city (Transport @ Fed Square) and before i knew it i was heading home at 2.30 Saturday morning. I'm enjoying hanging out with my workmates outside of work and getting to know them outside the office. With me having a good night last night i wasn't feeling or looking the best when i got my haircut this morning at 10am. Still that icky feeling subsided when i went to Target to buy new workpants. Ah the joys of wearing smaller sizes.

I'm trying to make life in Melbourne more exciting by thinking of doing different things. I actually would like to meet new people and try new things and now that i have stability at work till the end of the year i can now focus on getting more variety areas in my life including romance (which right now is empty, so that can only go up), self fulfilment (my long delayed radio dream) and writing my travel book. I know if i stop bitching about how life in Melbourne can be mundane because its home then my outlook will improve from the up and down temprament that has been going on inside my head since i landed. It's not the travelling lifestyle that i crave everytime i see a Qantas jumbo fly over our house but i have to make my time in Melbourne mean something.

Whilst Sydney is sleeping peacefully on the chair next to me, i'm thinking about how much of a support she really is. Everytime i come home she runs up the hallways and jumps up on me. She sleeps on my bed and follows me everywhere around the house. After i came back from my Nana's house (she's getting too old to give her house a good vacuum so i went over to help her) i took Syd over to the local footy oval and let her off the leash and just watched her run around without a care in the world.

So with the Australian Grand Prix on tomorrow my backside will be couchside (after my gym and one hour spinning class in the morn) and looking forward to the first race of the F1 season. Much like the scratch ticket i purchased Thursday night, my life is getting better by the day and whilst its not perfect (i was one number off winning an instant $150,000) it is improving.

3 comments:

tsotsa said...

Sorry been slow with comments lately!
Good luck with the run! You should be proud that you are making a big effort which is going towards a good cause.

You can join the Lilly Running Club soon ! ;-)

Joyfulone said...

Whoo!!! Lilly, Lilly and Lilly... Mark, you can be an honorary Lilly!

A girl lost in the Universe said...

I'm sorry-are we responding on Blogspot or Multiply???? You aren't getting both!!