Monday, March 12, 2007

Out and About

With the events of the past few days on my mind, I decided friday night that I was going out no matter what. Like that famous scene from the movie '"Network" I was as mad as hell and i' wasn't going to take it anymore. I needed to get out of the house, my work hours have been all over the place I have had too many nights in and just haven't had the desire to leave home and that's not me people. That's not good for anyone. I like my quiet time but if i have too much of it I lose my sence of belonging and i'm a freakin people person!!!!

Altering my plans of going to the gym and then going out later with Mike, I ended up having a few drinks after work down at headquarters with a few of the guys who had finished work earlier that day. I was going to continue with them to another pub but had already promised Mike I would go with him to a local bar. That fell through which cheesed me off but I was determined so the call went out to about three or four people until I got a hold of my freind Louise who was heading to the same bar i was so i decided to tag along with her.

As well as Lou her brother Simon was there as well. He attended the same high school as me but a was a year ahead and it's always good to see these two together as they are the closest brother / sister combination i have ever seen. I actually met Lou when i was working at a bottle shop a few years ago and she was working at the bakery just out the front of our shop. We both used to work Sundays and i would waddle over and have a chat with Lou and pick up a chocolate crossaint in the process. We have kept in contact and even though sometimes we go a bit long between catch ups she still is a dear friend.

Then again as we were on the way to pick up her cousin Christine she told me about the people she had given nicknames for who are regulars at the friday 80's night. These names include "Retro" ( a guy who loves the 80's like no other and dances in a way i've never seen before. The next time i go i'll get footage) "Pedro" (who once wore a 'Vote for Pedro' t-shirt) "Whitney" ( because i think this girl chucked a tanti Whitney Houston diva style once) and other names that the fullness of time has made me forget. Get me on a dancefloor with anything playing from the 80's (with the exception of Nelson) and i'm pretty much dancing away. So when the band (whose lead singer is on a 5 week hiatus in Adelaide and whose replacement whilst very good just doesn't have the same showmanship as the original singer) started belting out 80's classics such as "Electric Dreams", "Jessies Girl" "Take on Me" "Send me an Angel" and the show stopper "Rain" the world around me just drifted away and i was injected with synthesised beats and fluid bass lines. I get down on myself a lot and the only reason is that i over think things and i forget that life is meant to be lived..not thought out.

After the band finished about 1a.m. i found myself talking to Lou's cousin Christine. She had lived overseas for a year in Japan teaching and i was really interested in how she found the experience. It was three years ago that she came back but just finding out how different people dealt with it always helps me reach my own conclusions. i'm hoping that i'll be out with these guys at the Cubby House once again very soon as when i fell into bed at about 4am Saturday morning i though to myself that nights like this have been a little slim recently and i'm not going to take that anymore.

No comments: