Monday, March 12, 2007

Cheerio Moto!

It seems me and mobile phones are not destined to be freinds.

On Saturday morning, my Motorola RAZR which has served as a very useful phone for just under two years decided to shat itself and finally decide to update me with my messages. For 5 minutes late that morning all my house heard was the repeated strains of Michigan J Frog start to sing "Hello my Baby" as 9 messages decided to finally come through to my phone. For those not in the know Michigan J Frog is the frog in the Looney Tunes cartoon who is a tenor but doesn't sing in front of people. It's one of my top three cartoons ever.

Now im with Optus and have been for a few years and actually worked for them for 6 months before i left Australia. Now there network coverage should be pretty good yet when i really want to speak to people my phone decides to drop the call, make me lose my voice and still hear the other person talk or say it sent messages but the other person never received them. It could be network trouble but my Moto was on the way out. It needed charging everynight, the alarm would sometimes forget to work (not because of me) and generally it had just about had enough scratches and marks on it to make a Jerry Springer brawl look tame by comparison.

So Sunday morning i ventured down to Optus to pick up a half decent phone and i was amazed at the variety of phones you can buy. You can get internet, 3G, WAP, video calls and live TV but all i wanted was a phone. I never really used my phone camera on my other phone but i do have some nice pictures from my time in Hong Kong which i'll keep. In terms of wanting to keep up with the latest trends and be at the forefront of mobile technology i'll pass. All i wanted was a phone to call people when needed and to send messages to people...but the guy at the store wanted me to join a plan because i can get Google on a new Nokia if i go on a $50 a month plan over 24 months. Now considering i don't want to be here for 24 months and i don't want to surf the net on my phone i understand his need to upsell but please...

I'm on prepaid and i like it that way.

I purchased a new Samsung slider phone for $100 which has a camera and other stuff i will never use but its the closest thing to a regular mobile phone without the wanky techno stuff to impress other people with. "Oh look.I can listen to 1000 songs, surf the net, watch tv and order dinner." We don't have mobile phones anymore we have mobile entertainment units that just happens to have a phone function tacked on it as well.

No comments: