Thursday, November 02, 2006

The return of the tennis king

For the first time in three years i stepped onto a tennis court in a competitive environment. Actually, the last time i stepped onto a court if anyone said to me "Peps..the chances of you getting back on a tennis court are as likely as Google becoming an internet powerhouse" then well...thanks. Still last night i was called in as an emergency player and i was playing with dad. I can't remember the last time i stepped onto a court where we actually played doubles together but i was both excited and nervous getting onto the court.

Actually we were late because we went to the wrong tennis courts first up but we ended up at the right tennis courts only to find out that one of the opposing ladies (it was mixed) couldn't make it so they had to forfeit three sets which virtually cemented the win. Still getting on the court and swinging my Yonex and seeing balls fly over the net and into the back fence on the full was fully expected. Naturally i was as rusty as the vocal cords of Bec Cartwright and i was getting frustrated as i was naturally expecting more of myself. I know i hadn't played but i still should be able to get a forehand back over the net and not bounce twice then lightly touch my side of the net. Playing with dad should have been more enjoyable but i was down trodden after our set. We were up 3-1 and i had served well but we somehow lost 6-4. I thought i was doing alright then we just collpased. I was shitty with myself but dad as always kept saying "Just keep plugging away at it and it will come."

With the other lady not being able to play i only had to play two sets instead of three so i played amixed set that we won 6-3. I felt my touch come back a little and i enjoyed that set a lot more not because we one but because i forgot how much i enjoyed playing tennis. Hopefully with my job at Fosters i'll be able to play some games next season so we'll see what happens. My arms a bit sore today as a result. I could be filling in next week as well.

No comments: