Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Back into a world i thought i left behind

A clydesdale walks into a museum..the museum staff guy says "Why the long face?"

The past two and a half years personally have been an amazing feeling. It seems professionally they counted for nothing as i have ended up a job that i thought i would never go back to again...but it's not all that bad. More on that later. It seems to most people my time away was nothing more than an extended holiday and that i somehow managed to duck and weave my way around real responsibilities in the workplace and even though i'm the first to admit that our workplaces in China and Hong Kong were not as stressful as working in Melbourne, i am getting to the point where it seems that only Sab and I can ever truely understand what we actually did overseas.

We worked full time. We worked on Saturdays sometimes. I'm sorry to shatter the illusion that most people think that we worked 5 hours a week and spent the rest of the time exploring and getting pissed. We worked to the requirements that the role expected from us. So it surprises that there is a mentality of "getting back into the real world" but it's not like that people it's a case of "getting back to a more serious world."

The past two days have seen me start training on my new job at Fosters Group. Fosters Group for those outside Australia is one of the largest beverage companies (alcoholic and non alcoholic) in the world. There is a long and proud history to this company that i am now a part of and after a couple of days on the job, it's been information overload but very positive as well. There are 6 of us training for the job which basically is taking phone orders from around Australia. I honestly thought i had turned my back on the call centre world when i left home considering it contributed to me leaving the country yet in someways i feel like i have been given a second chance. This time i will do my job, don't complain (well not as much) and just save my butt off.

Fosters thus far have treated me very well and this afternoon we actually had to go down to the brewery to get a feel of what Fosters actually do. We saw the packaging, filling and labelling of bottles and then we were lucky to try some samples from the Fosters range. I was paid to go drink! I mean that's pretty cool right. No i didn't get pissed guys as the glasses were only small but it was a chance to taste the differences between the beers.

My hours are valied from 7am to 9pm and there is some Saturday work as well. The location is just south of the city centre and the people that i am training with are very nice people. The information overload has been daunting but thats stock standard these days. Fosters looks like it could be a good place to work at and if works a good part of my life then other aspects of my life will surely benefit as well.

It's early days but it's a good start.

1 comment:

A girl lost in the Universe said...

oooh making connections already huh???? You know how you said that mee getting a job at that Vodka place would be like putting a nun in a brothel? Well you working at Fosters would be like putting an 8 year old boy in the confessional with a Catholic Priest(ie the opposite effect if it were me working there)