Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Everybody wants to work.

The "Uncanny X-Men" sang a song that seems to fit my life right now. I can't defend the pink and white striped t-shirt though. It was the 80's.
Na na not me!!

Recruiting Agencies must be sitting back and having a big old laugh. It seems that the days of just reading the paper and calling someone at the company that advertised the job is too much of an effort these days. Now you have to jump online and be greeted by a faceless website and then if...and I mean if you are lucky you will hear back from a lady usually called Sally or Janelle from XYZ Recruitment about a position that you applied for three weeks ago.

I’m bitterly jaded when it comes to applying for work in Australia. I came back with fire in my belly wanting to get to work straight away and with the constant riniging in my ears about how Australias job rate is at an all time low but the feeling of an all time low is swinging in my direction. It seems Australia has embraced the internet so much that any face-to-face conversation in the employment world takes too much time these days. I'm also angry because even though i might not be the best applicant for jobs, just get me in a room with someone and i'll try my darndest to sweep them off their feet and try to make them think i actually care about a career in the pertrochemical industry.

It's an industry that feeds on lies and slight of hand tricks on your resume. Rather than saying i was a "kindergarten teacher" and tell the truth, i've written "educational trainer" instead. This kind of crap makes me sick. I was happy in Hong Kong and when i said i was a "kindergarten teacher" there wasn't any reason to hide behind some wanky terminology.

It seems telling the truth of what i did won't cut it in the job market here.

2 comments:

A girl lost in the Universe said...

You know for some reason, I couldn't enjoy that beer Lao here as much as I did in Lao? You'll find a job soon mate don't worry.

Joyfulone said...

Mista Mak! You vay funny!