Friday, October 27, 2006

Forgive me Blogger for i have sinned

It's been nearly two weeks since my last blog.

Quite honestly i just haven't had the desire to sit down and write about my life. For all intensive purposes it's been all about finding work. The past two weeks have really been a dampner for me because the search for work is just sooo f*cking frustraing in Australia that in my mind i thought "There's always Topkids" but that's taking the easy way out and man didn't get to the moon by staying on earth.

Two weeks have flown pretty quickly and in that time my paranoia of being back in Melbourne has died. I'm home now and i can't runaway from that fact so i've decided to make the most of it. I'm not putting any time limits on when i'm wanting to get back out because i'm not good at keeping to deadlines plus is takes away the feeling of enjoying my time at home. My life at the moment is all about "resurrection" as my dad so correctly put it a few days ago. I have had my time in Asia and that is no behind me and it's time to move on to the next phase which is about positioning myself to make best the time here.

In order for me to do that i need a job. My finances are low and with that i applied for the Newstart Allowance to keep me going during the time of job seeking. I've applied to god knows how many places only never to hear from them and wonder what happened. I waqs rejected for a job and a chain of travel agents for whatever reason and i was so pissed i wrote back and asked why? I have customer service experience and some travel experience so after i found that out (this was about 10 days ago) i was feeling very very down.

Then out of the employment wilderness a phone call appears. It's from Hays Recruiting..yeah the agency that decided not to have a bar of me after i dropped my details off there a few weeks ago. Another lady called saying there was a customer service position at Fosters Group. Now for anyone outside Australia (possibly this relates to Kate, Candace and Martine) Fosters Group is the largest alcoholic beverage company in Australia. The position is for customer service whereby you take orders from pubs and clubs. Pretty simple stuff. So after a couple days i was asked to come to the Fosters offices for an interview. The interview went pretty well i thought considering i was pretty nervous. This job was the best lead i had had in 5 weeks and i wanted to make a good impression. Luckily one of the interviewers had just been to China which worked in my favour as a natural icebreaker. I told her the TIger Leaping Gorge story and they both laughed.

I bounded out of the interview feeling positive about my prospects. Whilst applying for more roles Hays called back saying that Fosters was "impressed" with me. I think the only other "impressive" thing i've done with my life is give th Sizzler all you can eat theory a pretty good run for its money. Then again i was about 9 years old at the time so my "impressive" list has been dry for about 16 years. Well out of this phone call i had to do an online questionaire. Actually it was a beahavioural questionaire..all 108 of them. It took over an hour and on top of that on Tuesday i had to go into the city to complete a comprehension and maths test for this job. As my dear dear Sab said when she was going for her job "Seriously, are we applying for jobs at NASA or something?" So i made my way into the offices for the exam and the lovely lady whose legs i couldn't stop looking at told me that i had 15 mins for the comprehension (which i know i've spelt wrong) exam and 20 mins for the maths exam. Well i thought i did pretty good on the compre..well that one but the maths one i said to her afterwards "I thought the Hindenburg was less of a disaster then my maths." I've never been good at it and it showed. My family isn't mathematically or scientifically trained..we all can't stand maths and i was very depressed. I thought my one chance and i blew it bigtime. On the way home i stopped by a KFC and ate a large burger meal in record time doing 100 on the freeway. Tuesday night and Wednesday i felt very depressed.

On Thursday i made my way into the city as i found a part time job doing telemarketing for the Comedy Club in Melbourne. It's better than nothing so i made my in to their offices only to be greeted by no-one. The office door was locked and i waited around for 15 mins but no-one came. I decided it was time to go and i made my way back to Flinders Street Station 40 mins after i left it. Driving home from my local trainstation i decided to get some lunch at the local supermarket at that time i received a call from Hays again telling me i was successful and that i was being offered the position. I was releived (spelt that wrong too) that the search was over and that thie first part of my resurrection had been cemented. I start work on Monday and i'm looking forward to becoming part of the real world again. I am home and i'm working for a beer company so there as worse places to be.

No comments: