Monday, November 27, 2006

I got freaked out today

Whilst on holidays in Cambodia in the pretty nice beachside town of Sihanoukville, Sab and I found our way into another quiz night. During my time at quiz nights over Asia i have pulled out some bullshit answers to questions such as to the question "How old was William Shakespeare when he died?" I had no idea and the first number that came into my head was 52 which was the correct answer or when i answered "What was the name of the city that Wyatt Earp made well known?" For some reason i could only think of Dodge City. So when a question along the lines of "Which Ronnie dominated the sport of snooker in the 1990's" i pulled a name out of the air. The correct answer was Ronnie O'Sullivan.

The name i came up with was "Rocket" Ronnie Stevens.

Sab and I had a huge laugh and the name has stuck with me ever since. This was back in September and whenever i think of the fake name of "Rocket" Ronnie Stevens it reminded me of not only my ability to pull a truckload of shizzit from the back passage but my enjoyment of quiz nights.

Until today.

I was reading the paper at morning break when i was making my way from the sports section at the back to the comics and daily quiz in the middle when one of the obituaries stopped me in my tracks.


There was an actual Ronnie Stevens. Sure you might be thinking that his first and last name are pretty common and there would have to be a few Ronnnie Stevens on this planet but i was in shock. My fake Ronnie Stevens was a famous British pool player yet the real Ronnie Stevens was an actual film star who according to the obituary in todays Herald Sun - starred in 70 films!
Am i channeling the spirit world or do i just have a sixth sence or quite possibly an abilty to make unreal lives and events become real? When i was in high school i wrote a story about a chemical fire in India. It happened not too long later. I kept both the story and the article.

So rest in peace real Ronnie Stevens. Even though i pulled your name out of a back passage one night at a dinky dodgy faux British pub on the Cambodian Coast for a laugh, you freaked me out at work today!!

1 comment:

A girl lost in the Universe said...

that was so funny. I still think of that name and crack up laughing. Issss too fernny.