Saturday, February 03, 2007

People from past shaping your future.

When was the last time a single comment changed your view on life?

For me i can think of three.

1. When i was younger, i was at a book signing for an Australian athlete who said to me to "dream big and enjoy life."

2. In Dalian where our school's head English teacher said to Sab and I "If things get on top of you just remember "F*ck it, it's only a job."

Which leads me to number three.

On Saturday night i was at my aunty's 40th birthday. I was having a lovely night and enjoying the festivities when i happened to run into someone who i had not seen in just over a decade. The person in question was Shaun Bradley. Now to bring you all up to speed, Shaun lived across the road from my uncle and my mum where they all grew up together. My uncle still lives in that house with my aunty and my two cousins. During the night i was mingling with people i hadn't seen in years which included Shaun's parents.

Shaun was also my godfather at my christening.

Don't worry, all this back story leads to something.

Seeing Shaun again was fantastic and he hadn't changed a bit and it was great catching up with him again. As i was talking to him his lovely wife Sam (who i have seen about three times in my life) came over and the three of us started talking about travel. They had just got back from living in New York for 4 years and were settling back into life again in good old Melbourne. Throughout the conversation Shaun had to excuse himself so i was talking to Sam. I started talking about how i loved being away from home and how much i really wanted to travel again. With that Sam said something to me that really hit me between the eyes. "It's great that you want to keep travelling but it sounds like you want to travel everywhere and get it out of your system."

She was 100% right

Sam continues: "Shaun and I have 3 kids and we love to travel. We went to Africa last year and i'm going back to Manhattan for a week and a half to catch up with friends. You don't have to travel everywhere before you settle down because if you love to travel you will find a way how."

With that Sam hit the nail on how i have been feeling for a long time. It seems that travelling to me was a race against time. I had to do it now "while i'm young" (i can't stand that saying) otherwise i won't get the opportunity to do it later in life when the pressures of work and family take over and slowly squash your desire. Shaun and Sam proved to me that if you love something so much that even if your circumstances change, if you still have the desire to do something it doesn't have to be done by a specific time or date.

I know i want to travel and see as much of the world but with what Sam told me on Saturday night, i know now that travelling won't be just one period of my life, i want to be a part of every period of my life.

No comments: