Sunday, February 11, 2007

28 --- It Sounds so Grown Up...

With Gran (my Dad's Mum) and Nana (my Mum's Mum) last night. Bless them.

Yesterday i turned 28 years old and i'm not sure i feel 28 at the moment. For my 26th birthday i celebrated on a beach in Koh Phangan and my 27th was celebrated going up to guys in Lan Kwai Fong asking them wheres the best place to meet guys. So with my 28th birthday yesterday being the first one i have celebrated at home in three years it felt a little wierd to be celebrating it back at home rather than in a faraway place somewhere on the planet.

As i worked last Sunday i had friday off and between eye exams and haircuts i received a visit from the postman where a package with the Hong Kong Post logo landed at my front door. Inside were various gifts and trinkets from the wonderful Candace and beautiful Martine (including a couple bits of clothing i forgot in Honkers) and i had a smile from ear to ear. I had a few freinds over friday night and we all just sat out the back and had a couple of pizzas and a few drinks and plenty of laughs. With the wedding next week i didn't want to have a big one (i didn't feel like it anyway) plus i don't think my birthday is anything special really..it's just another day.


The birthday boy with bride and bridegroom to be.

After the mates left friday night i rang in my birthday with a call from Sab. I couldn't really hear her as she was at a bar somewhere and sounding like she was having a pretty good time. After the phone call i received from her later in the day on Saturday, i can confirm she had a good time. And she drank wine!!!! I tried her to get her to have wine but nope...damn uni students! hehe :)

Whilst the birthday itself was filled with running around the suburbs of Melbourne with my brother and his fiance looking for shirts, shoes and other bits and pieces for the wedding next Sunday, i was thinking to myself "are you happy to be celebrating your birthday with the family again?" Later in the night the regulars (aunties, cousins etc..) came around and i really had a lovely night. As i have said a million times before i am super lucky to have such a wonderful family and the night was filled with laughs from start to finish. It's hard to explain to people who haven't met my family how fantastic they are (with the exception of Sab who knows my family quite well) and how much warmth there is between everyone. Last night i was surprised by the sight of my Beerlao t-shirts being worn by almost everyone which was a lovely gesture as i wasn't too sure how they would be accepted as christmas presents.

The family with my Beerlao shirts.

It does feel wonderful to have the family close and friends close by but it was hard as well as the people i wanted to celebrate this day with also are so far away. This time around celebrating my birthday back at home was bittersweet in that regard because i know that the people who i love and would love to celebrate with aren't just at my house. They are scattered all over the world and that makes me feel special because birthdays should be special.

No comments: