Sunday, April 01, 2007

The things you miss, the things you don't

Part One : The things you miss.

Last Friday the 30th of March saw me in two minds. Actually it was a day of contradictions I had two events on my mind and the problem was i really wanted to be at the one i couldn't be at. That event was Sab's 28th Birthday and as much as i could try to be there through phone calls, presents or birthday cards I felt a bit of sadness because i couldn't actually be there to celebrate with her. Even typing this now i just feel disheartened in some ways. Sab is such an amazing friend to me and i love her dearly and being away from her tears me up more when events such as birthdays come up.

I know she had a wonderful time and i'm super happy for her that she had a fantastic night with her roomates and friends. The photos on her website (whatsabdid.multiply.com) projected to me someone who is starting to gather momentum after an adjusting period of being in a new city. I'm so happy for her and as tough as it is for the both of us being apart from each other i know we'll be back in the groove and piss farting around together again in the future. I never really realised or appreciated how important Sab is to me. That's not to say i didn't before but probably because we spent so much time together you sometimes forget why you are friends with someone in the first place. She understands and somehow tolerates me and that's a pretty rare thing for me. I just cannot wait to see her again.


Part Two : The things you don't

As Friday night drew closer i was getting excited as it was the first Aussie Rules football game i have been to in 4 years. After finishing work i had a few pre match bevvies just to wet the vocal cords that i knew would get a pretty good working over later in the night. After staying at work and having a few laughs, it was time to make my way to the home of sport, the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Forget Wembley, forget San Siro the home of sport on the entire planet is the mighty G'.

So as i made my way into this rebuilt mecca the atmosphere was rising slowly and the night was cool yet still. I felt like i was having a case of deja vu' as i know i've been to this place before and i know what i'm supposed to do here but i wasn't sure exactly what that was. Still after having a pie and a beer the feeling of the footy being back was just amazing. Needless to say that feeling didn't last long as my team played shit house and lost their opening game. In fact i was so pissed off with my team that i actaully went back to the pub near work were a few of the workmates were still there after the game as i had to drown my sorrows. Next thing i knew it was 2am and i was in a bar at Richmond with three of my workmates. My team really played that bad and it was just like the old days before i left.

I didn't miss that at all.

No comments: