Saturday, February 25, 2006

Peps Place Movie Review: 'Gone with the Wind



Finally i now know why Scarlett O'Hara is such a bitch and why a womans scorn is compared to hers.

Last night from 6.30pm to 10.30pm Sabrina and I parked our asses on the couch and finally sat down to watch what has been described as one of the greatest motion pictures ever made.

No it wasn't Weekend at Bernies but the classic ...Gone with the Wind.

It was the first time that either of us had seen it and boy what an experience we had. First if all the pirated DVD we paid a dollar for kept stuffing up every 15 minutes so Sab and i in turns had to crouch down to the DVD player, eject the disc and just blow inside the player to get the disc working again.

Boy this film was fantastic! The time actually flew and with the numerous amounts of chocolate and biscuits to keep our stomachs happy we were on the edge of our seats especially in the final minutes of the film where Scarlett realises her feelings for Rhett after screwing him around for years. She is so mean and horrible and will do anything to get her way. She's amazing!

The basic story revolves around Scarlett O'Hara (played to perfection by Viven Leigh) who loves the dapper but quite frankly wanky Ashley. Scarlett though has captured the attention of the devislish Rhett (Clarke Gable) even though Scarlett just wants to be with the wanky softy Ash. With the American Civil War heating up and the old ways of the South coming to an end there is all sorts of confusio goin' on in lil' ol' Gerorgia.

This movie was the original soap opera. Fires, Births and even a dodgy horseriding accident couldn't stop this juggernaut from taking its place amoung the best films i've ever seen. The sweeping vistas of the Ol' South and the accompaning music were just perfect. It was so good that we sat though the film freezing up about 12 times. Is it too much to ask these days that your pirated DVD's have optimum audio and video? I think not.

This film gets my first 5 out of 5 even though Sab and I were screaming "Nooooo" at the TV when it froze just before the immortal line "Frankly my dear, i don't give a damn"

Ouite frankly, i'm glad i sat through it even if my ass was going into a coma.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother took Lozzie, Rhonnie and me to see this movie when we were merely teenagers. I remember thinking the darn movie would never finish! I'm sure you have to be old to appreciate it - like Lozzie now, she very much appreciates it!! Di. xxx

A girl lost in the Universe said...

5 out of 5???? Are you nuts???? I enjoyed Confessions of a teenage Drama Queen more!!! Okay, maybe not but Pretty Woman for sure.
I'm sorry, but I don't want to sit through a damn four hour movie only to see that the 2 lead characters don't even end up with each other. I am with Kate on this one. While I enjoyed the movie to some extent, the ending was one of the worst I have seen. Rubbish Mark, Rubbish.